Monday, June 13, 2016

Sorrento

"I haven't been everywhere, but its on my list." - Susan Sontag

The past couple of weeks have been quite a journey and hopefully most of you were able to follow me along for the ride through my posts on Instagram and Facebook. If you aren't sick of them yet, I will be sharing my experience in each city I went to the next few days. Whether you are planning a trip yourself or want to see more from mine, please feel free to follow along.

My anecdotes won't fully encompass the experience, so I encourage you to take my feedback and travel. If you have the opportunity, travel abroad. Don't get me wrong there are beautiful places in the U.S., but its humbling immersing yourself into a country's culture where you may not know the language or common social practices. Not to mention and contrary to belief, America does not have it all. The things that come second nature in America may be completely foreign in other countries. For example, a task as simple as ordering food can be difficult due to a language barrier. All of the food was amazing in Italy, so thank God I didn't have any issues with that. I had help in Egypt too or else I would have been at a loss for words.

The more you see and do, naturally the more educated you become. There are many ways to do things and its important to see the way the world does them differently to better understand people and solve our own problems with new approaches. Or maybe you can take what you've learned and appreciate what we do have in the states. Perspective is key. If you can change your views on topics with an open mind, I think peace and acceptance have a chance. You don't have to like everything, but thats the point isn't it? To know. Don't get me wrong, traveling across the world can be frightening. Taking risks makes people uncomfortable and scared, but you will never know the capacity of what you truly love and want it you don't try.

I should probably get to the actual trip now. haha. I flew into Paris and then Naples to finally take a bus with my tour group to a little village called Sorrento. Our hotel was walking distance to the coast with gorgeous views. This little town was one of my favorites of the entire tour. The tour company I used was EF College Break. If you are between the ages of 18 and 28, this is a great option to travel alone or on a budget. They will book all of the flights, transportation, tours, and lodging accommodations for you so its really stress free. The particular tour I did was the Grand Tour of Italy. Completely worth every penny.










Gelato everywhere. A tip we learned was not to eat at the ones with the big mounds of gelato because they aren't made with the best ingredients. 

















We definitely had our fair share of fun at the clubs in Italy. Trap Queen came on and it got real.


And if or when you do travel, I highly suggest journaling about it when you have down time. That way everything is fresh in your mind, even if you type something quick in the notes on your phone. Its fun to reflect and be reminded of all you accomplished. I am proud to say I consistently wrote about each day I spent abroad. So, take the time to sit, write, and have a sip in the city you are in. Its quite liberating slowing things down to put your thoughts to paper.

We're off to Capri next! 
post signature

1 comment: