Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Sharp Objects

Gillian Flynn has got to be my new favorite author. I love dark, thought-provoking books and she has delivered again with Sharp Objects. These kind of books remind me of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series. Dark, deep, and intriguing. I like reading them more than any other kind book because they are real, rather than a Nicholas Sparks' tragic love story. Those get to be redundant. 
I've been told that her #1 New York Times Bestseller, Gone Girl will soon be a film too! Can't wait!

Camille Preaker is a reporter for the Chicago Daily Post. Her latest assignment is to report about the killing of two little girls, in Wind Gap, Missouri. Wind Gap happens to be her home town. As she interviews and learns more about the girls, she starts connecting with them from her own life experiences. Camille has a bit of a troubled past. Her past helps her unravel what happened, while coping with returning home to the house she grew up in. 

My review is a bit short because like any Gillian Flynn book, her delivery is wonderful on top of the story. I don't want to give anything away and ruin it for you! So, prepare for a rough ride because Sharp Objects takes you down a troubled path of the past, present, and future. I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. There is something to be said about nurture and nature. You can only explain behavior by genes for so long, before life experiences come into play. Things start to make a lot more sense knowing what kind of trauma or situations have been sent someones' way.

Flynn's Dark Places is next on my reading list. 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment