Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Scar Tissue



I've always enjoyed reading about celebrities and their rise to fame. Everyone has a different story, personality, and attributes that make them tick. Scar Tissue, Red Hot Chili Peppers' front man, Anthony Kiedis' autobiography was one of the most brutally honest depictions I have ever read about someone's life. Kiedis' upbringing was nothing short of eye opening. I know it's not an impossible concept, but I could never imagine my father doing cocaine and throwing wild parties in front of me at the age of 10. And if I didn't think that was disheartening enough, Anthony was then shooting up drugs himself shortly after he moved to the great state of California to be with his father and that crazy lifestyle. 

I'm not trying to judge because it is what it is, but it's very interesting to reflect on the obstacles (some self-inflicted) he faced and still overcame to be part of one of my favorite and greatest bands of all time. Parts of the novel I found touching and inciteful were when he talked about writing some of RHCP's most well-known songs and the moments in his life in which they were written. I always knew that "Under the Bridge" was about doing drugs, but never knew what it all actually meant specifically to Kiedis. He was very depressed when not high on drugs and often felt that L.A. was the only constant being with him in his journey through life. Especially when his friends were still getting high and he was trying to stay sober so he wouldn't be the next one to die. "Sometimes I feel like my only friend is the city I live in, the city of angels. Lonely as I am, together we cry."

Towards the end of the book, he seemed so miserable and out of sorts that I didn't know if I wanted him to go get high just to be happy or if it was just the effects of being sober after years and years of drug use. And at the end of the day, addiction is a crazy thing. He was the type of addict that could go months, even years without drugs. But as soon as he took one hit, it was all over. Chasing after that greater high every day, every minute of his young life must have been exhausting. The struggle is REAL, people!

Scar Tissue may be a bit dark and deep, but I loved ever page of it. I don't like when things are sugar coated. I like the truth, even if it is graphic. Kiedis delivered with his twisted true life tale of a rockstar.

And according to NME News, the Red Hot Chili Peppers are going to release a "different and unique" album in 2015. Can't wait to hear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment