Tuesday, September 23, 2014

HeForShe

There are many speeches that go down in history as monumental for change in society and I believe this is one of them. This is not just an issue in the United States. Equality is a global issue that most of us see take place every day. United Nation's Women Global Goodwill Ambassador, Emma Watson, or as many of the you know as Hermione from Harry Potter, gave a speech over the weekend regarding her new HeForShe movement that left me with goosebumps. 


I think one of the high points for me was how she defined what a feminist is. I never really thought of the term the way she so eloquently described it. She changed my entire perspective on what it means to be a feminist and open doors to starting conversation on global gender equality. 
"We should stop defining each other by what we are not, and start defining ourselves by who we are."
Powerful.

Emma has been placed on my list of beautiful and strong women that I admire. I'd love it if her and Sophia Bush tag teamed this movement. I can't imagine the kind of change they would implement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment