Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Dallas Buyers Club


I have been on a bit of a role with watching new movies. I guess you could say I've had some Oscar fever. I went to see American Hustle on Saturday, at the theatre. Last night I purchased Dallas Buyers Club on my Apple TV through the Apple store. After Matthew McConaughey's win for Best Leading Role, Jared Leto's Best Supporting Role win, and the speeches that followed, Dallas Buyers Club seemed like a 'must-see.' 

Placed in 1985, McConaughey's character Ron Woodruff lives the rodeo party life when he finds out that he is HIV positive and was given 30 days to live. I was absolutely shocked at how sickly skinny Matthew was in this part, but it sold you on the realness of the situation and what people that live with this virus go through.


Ron was not about to lay down and die. He finds Rayon, a gay business partner played by Leto (also HIV positive) to sell vitamins, minerals, and a non-toxic antidote to help people live. However, its not approved by the FDA, but not banned. Loop hole, until the IRS and FEDs hear about it. Meanwhile, pharmaceutical companies are selling a toxic drug to medical facilities to try on patients. 

This movie truly shows how corrupt and ignorant our government was to the HIV/AIDS epidemic. Although there is still no cure, there are ways to live with it rather than simply surviving. I'm not sure about everybody else, but if I'm terminally ill I would try anything to make myself get better. You have one life to live and I don't want the FDA making decisions on my happiness and health, especially when their agenda is based upon their financial benefit. Its one thing if it truly is unsafe and its another if they aren't willing to test new solutions.

Matthew McConaughey deserves every bit of that Oscar. He became Ron Woodruff, HIV positive. I recommend this movie to anyone who wants to see a day in the life of AIDS. The more we inform ourselves about these kind of topics, the better our society will be. We are at a time where ignorance should not be what holds us back.

1 comment:

  1. I have heard such great things about this movie. I am going to have to check it out

    ReplyDelete