Thursday, October 17, 2013

13 Nights of Halloween

ABC Family hosts 13 Nights of Halloween each year. They compile a line-up for 13 nights of movies leading up to all hallow's eve. I try to tune in each night to get in the spirit, but sometimes I have other flicks in mind. So, I decided to create my own list... These are movies that I love to watch during this Fall season, drinking some apple cider, carving jack-o-lanterns, and putting together my costume. Some are for everyone and some aren't for kids. These are movies that I watched growing up and still watch to this day during all hallow's eve.
I usually try to pick a couple of these up each year if I see them in the $5.00 bin or on sale, to have my own marathon of spooky films. If you don't own them, I urge you to rent them from Apple or some other online service because I guarantee that video stores will have empty shelves. 

Saturday, October 19th
BEETLEJUICE
Is it bad that whenever I see someone wearing black and white thick stripes, all I can think about is Beetlejuice? Learn about the life of the recently deceased and their struggle with the living. 
Whatever you do, do not say his name 3 times!

Sunday, October 20th
SCREAM TRILOGY
This journey with Sydney Prescott is one of my favorite trilogies (now with a 4th) of all time. As the series moves forward, the story of her mother continues to unravel to the truth. Unfortunately, with a ton of casualties. I think one of my favorite parts is the trilogy within the trilogy. Sydney deals with her story being told through the horror flick, Stab...which turns into its own trilogy. Who doesn't love a little blood and guts during Halloween?

Monday, October 21st
HALLOWEENTOWN
The Disney Channel has always put out awesome original movies. I loved this one growing up. The Disney Movie Club actually has a dual dvd with Halloweentown and Halloweentown II. Great purchase. 

Tuesday, October 22nd
THE RING
7 days... Who wasn't scared by this movie? I think Samara is easily one of the creepiest things I have ever seen. Nightmares for weeks, when it first came out. 

Wednesday, October 23rd
DOUBLE DOUBLE TOIL & TROUBLE
When I went to my grandparents' house, this is the movie I would rent. I think all girls love Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen. Very cute and spooky movie for kids. 

Thursday, October 24th
THE CRAFT
Talk about scary. These four witches find their powers, but some use them for evil. This movie still terrifies me at times. 

Friday, October 25th
CASPER
The friendly ghost... Casper gives ghosts a good name with his caring and lovable personality.

Saturday, October 26th
THIRTEEN GHOSTS
First time I ever watched Thirteen Ghosts was after going to a haunted house, with a bunch of friends in 8th grade. The hole concept of 13 ghosts is intriguing. It reminds me of the 7 deadly sins, in a way. Prepare to be introduced to the life of a ghost hunter.

Sunday, October 27th
FRANKENWEENIE
Tim Burton always delivers... Mike got Frankenweenie for me and I'm so glad he did. I never saw it in theaters, but its so cute. Its all in black and white, with odd looking characters. Imagine bringing back to life your very own frankenstein... in dog form.

Monday, October 28th
SLEEPY HOLLOW
I've ways been drawn to this movie. Johnny Depp plays a great role.  Christina Ricci seems to love playing in scary movies.

Tuesday, October 29th
THE PUPPET MASTER
My dad introduced me to The Puppet Master at a young age. Watching it now, I wonder what he was thinking because these "puppets" are ruthless. Super scary little things. This flick is not to be confused with a children's movie. Very disturbing material.

Wednesday, October 30th
THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS
This is the first Tim Burton movie I ever saw and it is a classic, in my book. It has just the right amount of scary, creative, and cute. 

Thursday, October 31st
HOCUS POCUS
One of the all time greats, Hocus Pocus. I was obsessed with this movie growing up. I didn't have it on DVD, so I would make sure that I knew all the dates it would be on during the month of October. Very cute movie about the Salem Sanderson Sisters and one boy's brave (yet naive) light of a the black flame candle. "Its all just a little Hocus Pocus!"

These are my 13 Nights of Halloween. However, if you are looking to add some more for a marathon, check out The Skeleton Key, Saw (series), The Addams Family (Values), Ernest: Scared Stupid, and Tales from the Crypt. All great choices. Enjoy your spook-talcular nights!

2 comments:

  1. I love the olsen twins lol reminds me of being young and hanging out on the couch with my mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. umm this just made my day. I love halloween and LOVE halloween movies. I forgot about CAsper! haha awesome!

    xx,
    Becky @ Cella Jane

    ReplyDelete